Abba Challenge



My SIL phoned me yesterday telling me that she was going to take a challenge for the month of March. Not to abstain from a certain food or television program, but to incorporate a spiritual practice into her daily life. In "The Furious Longing of God", Manning tells of a meeting with a 78 year old nun after a retreat where he spoke on experiencing God as Father. The nun shared how she suffered sexual abuse by her father as a child and now lived with self-hatred and struggled to experience God's love and to see Him as Father. Manning instructed her to pray every morning for 30 days this phrase "Abba, I belong to You". Each day she was to say the phrase, repeating it slowly, inhaling "Abba", exhaling "I" and so on with each word.

After 30 days of praying this phrase daily she returned to Manning a changed woman. She expressed how for the first time in her life she knew the love of the Father and now understood the peace He alone can bring. The phrase brought healing balm to her wounded heart. No longer "just words", she experienced the Truth they were proclaiming.

This is the challenge my SIL is undertaking. I am going to join her in this. Upon waking this morning I began my day in my field (see earlier post), met Jesus there and spoke this phrase while He wrapped me in a bear hug. What a great way to start the day!

I wonder what the next 30 days will hold? Why not take the challenge too? I expect you will be amazed by the love of your Abba for you!! Let me know what happens!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye