Day 15 Feeling The Love

I'm procrastinating. I'm 3 days behind. Want to know why? Well, in part because I've been tired in the evenings, which is when I tend to write, but mostly because of this topic. This is a HUGE one. I'm pretty sure if I even attempt to write I'll fall so flat and short that the endeavour will seem almost pointless. Not because I don't know what to write, but because I have so very many things I could write.

The other day I received an email from my wonderful friend, Kelly, who just happens to be my sister-in-law. She had been reading the blog and exclaimed "keep feeling the LOVE!!". If this is the message she gets when reading my posts then I have succeeded already in writing about love, haven't I? That just occurred to me, right at this moment. I am learning what love is. I thought, at first, that I understood better what love was when I had my children. What I'm beginning to grasp is that understanding love comes better in having a clearer and healthier picture of Who God is.

My picture of God is improving. I'm busy taking apart preconceived ideas and notions. Coming to understand that He IS LOVE. How could I have missed that for so many years? Why did the idea of Him being controlling, angry, and vindictive appear to be so strong? I'm being freed. It's just as simple and as wonderful as that. To me, love is equalling freedom.

You will only be as healthy as your picture of God is accurate. Think on this. What pictures of God do you have that skew the Truth of Who He really is?

Comments

  1. Wooden spoon comes to my mind.

    You step out of line - you get the wooden spoon - or the leather strap.

    Awful really.

    It's taken years for me to begin to get a glimpse of this God who says that all we will ever know of what Love is, is what He is - and then more...because His name and Love are the same.

    After we were married and we went out to Regent/Cary for Greg's second and third year of the MDiv, one of the first things Greg did was introduce me to his friends. We met two of them one night in a place called the Candia Taverna just outside the gates of the UBC campus. Anyway - it's a long story - but the short version is that I realized a LOT of stuff out of that one night. And on my best days - that's what I think being with God is like - sitting around that wooden booth, with great food and new friends and talking about the passion and the privelege of living out a life with God in Christ. I know it's all more than that - but that's what comes to mind for me. Acceptance, possibilities, promise, purpose, love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye