Day 20 Simply Beautiful

Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." Luke 12:27

Early last evening I had been letting go of some emotions that I was clinging pretty tightly to. It was freeing. I was eager to speak with Jesus before I went to sleep, so I went to the field again. I always begin by imagining what the field looks like, what houses surround it, what color the sky is, can I hear the neighbour's dog barking, what does the wind feel like on my face, where am I standing in the field, etc. This time when I turned to look around I saw a short, white stool sitting to the right of me, all by itself. I went to it and sat down. It became clear to me that I was preparing for a photo shoot, but I found it difficult to really see myself. While I was sitting on this stool trying to bring my present face into focus, I bent down and picked up a white daisy and a purple clover. I thought, they are so simple but so beautiful. It was then I heard Jesus say, "This is how you are- beautiful in simplicity, not complicated or showy, but beautiful in your naturalness".

Perhaps this sounds kind of silly to you, but it means a lot to me. Just a week or so ago I was looking in the mirror and I asked Jesus, can You show me what I look like. What I really look like, without that critical eye I see myself with? His answer was far beyond anything I would have guessed. Is He really this beautiful? Does He really speak to us like this? YES!

Comments

  1. Sometimes, when I have a hard time going to sleep, this is exactly what I do.

    I like that question - and who you put the question to - "Jesus, show me what I look like". I immediately get this image of a grubby little kid. I know I'm deeply loved - I also know, especially lately, there's a lot of dirt to scrub off. And like any little kid - I'm resisting the bath. Read John 12 and 13 last night - Jesus chat with Peter when he was washing the disciples feet kinda sprung out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in a book once that part of our problem as women is that we ask our "question" to everyone else BUT to the One who can actually answer it. I like what you said about being a grubby little kid :)- I feel like that too. It's so much nicer to think of myself as a pristine daisy though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye