April 18, 1984


I awake in a bit of a fog, only slightly aware of the telephone ringing.  We got in late last night.  Long past our bedtime.  I can hear my father in the kitchen, his muffled conversation floating upstairs to my room.  It's just before 8.  We've slept in.  I'll have to rush to get ready for school this morning. 

My father slowly climbs the stairs and I turn to see him enter my bedroom.  He is tired and carries a strange expression on his face. 

He reaches my bedside and takes a seat.  He isn't looking at me, but out my bedroom window to the hillside and winding road.  When he faces me again tears have formed in his eyes.  He covers my hand with his and tells me my mother is gone.  His words get lost in a sudden release of grief.  I turn my head into my pillow, tears flowing.  I'm not completely certain of what he's said, I'm hoping I've misunderstood, but know I have not.  He sits for awhile on my bed and we both silently weep.  Without a word he gets up and leaves.

In those few moments a childhood is interrupted.  Picked up and turned on its head.  Forced to go in another direction.  In the coming days my world and that of my family will be different.  Conversations will cease when we walk into a room, quiet whispers spoken by curious peers, sad looks and tilted heads nodding their sadness in our direction.  A motherly influence quieted.  Her laughter no longer filling our home.  No more shared secrets at bedtime, tender hugs from her warm arms, or her soft hands quieting fidgeting knees in church. 

This chapter in my life will write itself into every sentence of who I am.  I have her hands and as I type I see them flying over the keys.  I catch glimpses of her in the mirror on days when I seem to need to be reminded of her most.  I have witnessed her tenderness watching my brothers play with their children. 

Forever with us in memory, she dances through the shadows of our past and today, like every 18th day of April for the last twenty eight years, I remember.  I remember her laugh, her smile, her voice, her singing, her ways, her love.

Comments

  1. (((HUGS))) Praying for peace for you this day. I wish I could give you a real hug. Sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista. She was fantastic- of course, I'm thankful I was able to know her for as long as I did.

      Delete
  2. I love you Angie - so thankful for who you are and how God has worked in your life to sculpt you into the Woman, Wife, Mother, Sister, Daughter and Friend you are! You are real, honest, lovely and dear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although i was very young, I remember her brilliant smile and her infectious laugh. She affected everyone around her.
    You are your mother’s daughter.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason! I know you do remember her, we spent so much time together as family.

      Delete
  4. You wrote this beautifully. Praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to believe that it was 28 years ago. She was only 12 when I was born, and she always felt more like a big sister too me than my aunt. Angie, I too remember her laugh, her smile, her voice, her singing, her ways, her love ... all of these things have touched us with a depth that far outreached her years. Her love was so real and vast ... and oh how she loved her children. Jason is so right, you are your mother's daughter! Love and Prayers Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remind me of her too- did you know that?

      Delete
  6. I knew by reading, there would be tears, but your memories are so precious, that they must be shared.
    Thinking of you, Jamie, Matthew and dear brother, Alex.
    Love you all, so much, as I loved her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too, Aunt Glenda- I'd love to hear your memories someday too. You would have so many good ones to share with me.

      Delete
  7. What a tribute Angie! Only those who have lost a parent at a young tender age can appreciate the lost innocence that shatters our world. The loss never ends. It is comforting that you have happy memories to treasure forever. When I look at your mom I see Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tribute to your mom Angie. I wish I had the chance to meet her. Love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you all, again, on this day, and always. <3 XXX/OOO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to meet her :) I know her through you. I can only imagine what that grief must be like. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this last year and cried and just read it again with tears flowing. Joan was a wonderful friend with a beautiful smile, a loud jolly laugh and always in a good mood. We spent a lot of time together and I still miss her. We were honoured to have her sing at our wedding, she was an amazing singer as well as a person. Big hugs to you today! Love Iris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye