Day 23 Doing, Not Just Thinking



Okay, so I don't totally agree with everything this picture is saying - for one, I'm not a man; and two, I'm not this fit, or large. However, I thought this image fit well with how I've been feeling as a Christ-follower these days. This is a metaphor for our battle against the flesh. Who we truly are, our identity in Christ, trying to emerge.

With that in mind, most of my life I have lived in defeat. I've spent much time thinking on things but not doing them. I'd fanatasize about really living my life and wondered what that might look like, but I never got up enough courage or passion to actually do anything about it. NOT ANYMORE.

About 2 years ago I really felt called to run. Seriously, I felt compelled to do it. And, as things have gone, I'd actually thought about running and what that might be like. I never got curious enough to do it though, nobody needs to see an unfit thirty-something woman running through the neighbourhood. Then this little nudge happened. I got so excited about it, I was going to do a couch to 5K program and do the Run for the Cure for Deb MacDonald, as an act of support to her. So, I made plans and then.....I discovered two weeks later that I was expecting. Hmmmm...how does one train for a 5K when they are pregnant? I was disappointed and a bit confused with God. You asked this of me and now what??

Well, last January this memorable nudge from the Lord was still present and I hadn't forgotten how excited I was to begin. So, I began training. I LOVED running. Who knew? By the week of April 15th I had run my very first (unofficial) 5K. I think it may have been a mix of adrenaline and pure sweet joy. While I was running that 5K, my sister in law Kelly was waiting for a dye test. I remember lifting my hands in praise when I reached the 2.5K mark, turning around and heading for home. The homestretch, for me, and for whatever lay ahead for Jamie and Kelly. It was beautiful and I was amazed that I could actually do it!!



In October I had the privilege of running my first official 5K with Kelly, my brother Matt, his wife Sarah, and Kelly's father. It was surreal. I felt so good that day. That I had accomplished something I had only thought of doing years before. I felt that I had been obedient to Christ in this, that He had asked this of me and I actually went through with it. Wonderful!! I'm still running, doing a 5K training routine to get back up to pace, and hopefully, faster! This year my goal is 10K in October.

I've always wanted to play the guitar, so I'm doing that too!! Doing instead of thinking- so thankful for this!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye