Day 21 Appetite of Infancy

"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again", to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we." Orthodoxy GK Chesterton

I think I should play more. During one of the first snow storms of the season I got dressed in my outer wear and took the three oldest children outside for a walk. It was dark, snowing very hard and windy. We went to the playground at the school. I instigated a game where we pretended to be spies who had gotten lost in a rugged cold terrain. We fell over snowdrifts, ran for cover behind the slides and scaled the fence (well, they did) to get away from the bad guys. At one point during our play, Abby looked at me and grabbed me by the arm as she nuzzled close to me. I said, "what?" to which she replied, this is the best night ever! It was!!

Play. More.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye