The long way around



A little over 2 months ago I blogged about Elias. I told you about our trip to the IWK and how we discovered that what we were dealing with was not "scary". Fast forward to the end of that month and I'll fill you in on what's been happening since....

After his developmental assessment he was scheduled to meet with an occupational therapist because of some fine motor concerns. We met with her twice. On the last appointment she suggested he go see a physical therapist. She thought they would be able to give him some exercises to help him have more "control" over his wobbly legs and arms.

We had that appointment at the end of June.

I don't think we had been sitting in her exam room more than 20 minutes when she said these words- "I think I know what the problem is".

Really? Had I heard her correctly??

She then went on to explain that Elias is hyper-flexible, which would explain why every doctor we've been to has said he has "low tone". He's actually very mobile and can put his little legs way beyond his ears (when checking his tone Dr Dooley told him he was going to beat him with his own feet!). Children who are hyper-flexible sometimes have trouble with control. They can be wobbly.

"Elias, will you get down on your hands and knees like a kitty cat for me?" He is sitting on her flat, cushioned table, looking as though he hasn't the slightest interest in what she's asked him to do. She demonstrates for him, tries to make it a game. He tries to immitate her.

He can't do it.

He extends his legs and balances on his tippy toes, looking like he's performing an awkward pushup.

Next she asks him to hop on one foot. He is eager to show her his abilities. He stands on one foot for a few seconds, unable to do it, reaching out to hold onto the table.

Huh...

Elias begins to move around the room, wobbly and making facial grimaces.

I am happy to see he is actually doing this awkward dance in front of someone who might know why he does this.

She explains that Elias' core muscles are weak. He has no control over them, they don't fire correctly. She tells me she has several other children who come see her who struggle similarly with these movements. This is her specialty.

She asks me when he learned to walk and I say, 18 months (my other 4 all learned about 12). She comments she wishes she had him years ago, that we could have avoided all of this.

I know she is not accusing but I push back on the mother-guilt that I've dealt with so much through this wee boy's life- how many times have I said- "How did I not see this before?".

The plan of action is to tape Elias. A technique using postural tape on the skin. Placed over the muscle groups he needs work on, the tape will signal the muscles to "fire". We need to work his core. Your core does so much to keep your body in line. Elias has trouble after sitting or sleeping because he has been relaxed and needs to get himself together to walk properly. She says he has learned how to compensate beautifully.

I begin to put things together. What I've always suspected is true. My boy has been in discomfort for years. No wonder he could be "difficult".

So I ask her that straight out, has Elias been in pain. Yes. Can you imagine what life would be like for you if you were constantly in discomfort.

.....

"Elias, will you lay down on this table so I can put stickers on your belly and back?" Not on your life! I hold him down a bit, she passes him a container full of bright cartoon stickers he can sort through while she attaches the tape.

Soon Elias has bright blue tape on his tummy and back muscles. He isn't impressed. She instructs us to ask him to do the crab walk and to squeeze his bum several times throughout the day- his exercises.

What I don't know in that moment is how this is going to drastically change this little boy's life.

Fast forward to today.

We've been seeing her for more than 2 months, every week. We stop in for tape, Elias shows her how he has improved, she praises his efforts and we leave in confidence that our next visit will be even better.

I am struck by the changes in his demeanor. A boy who was once difficult, didn't listen well, was disagreeable and irritable has become a boy who acts a whole lot more like his brothers and sister (but Rome wasn't built in a day :/).

The last time we sat in her room getting taped, I looked her in the eye and said thank-you. Thank-you for giving us a happier boy.

I marvel that the one person who knew what my boy needed and who specializes in that very thing works in a health centre that is just 10 minutes away.

We just took the long way around to get there.

Oh! My God is so good! My soul magnifies the Lord!

I praise Him in the difficulties with Elias and I will magnify Him in the triumph.

Comments

  1. "I marvel that the one person who knew what my boy needed and who specializes in that very thing works in a health centre that is just 10 minutes away."
    "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
    Luke 7:50
    God always comes through when we trust Him. May your story increase the faith of others too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Janice. I hope this IS an encouragement to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very words Janice chose to quote from your post are the ones that stood out to me too! What an awesome God we serve! Great post Ang :)
    Sending Love, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can only imagine how difficult that must of been, but thank God for the perfect physical therapist for him and such a wonderful difference in his life! How old is he?

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - What an incredible story! I am so glad that things are getting better for Elias and for your whole family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye