Getting straightened out

I went for a run last night. I needed to think. A verse was running through my mind, "Count it all joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance" James 1:2-3. I need to be honest, I could never quite understand the "count it all joy" part. I understand that we are purified by trials, but counting it joy seemed a stretch. Until a light switched on for me while I was running. We aren't crazy people who rejoice because of the trial, counting joy because of suffering. What we take joy in is the opportunity that arises from the trial. The chance to move a little closer to Jesus. The chance to see another aspect of God's character, to see how He will act, how we will act.

That's how I see it anyway.

Comments

  1. I so agree - what a GREAT discovery to make. Over the past few months especially, I have come to a greater understanding of what joy is. I think it is not about joy because of trials but in spite of trials. It is focusing on what is most important and trying to look beyond our unbelievably narrow view of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I guess the most "joy-filled" part of joy is that it's not based on circumstances. You can experience it when things are seemingly at their worst. In fact, I'd even say we might experience it then most intensly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye