The puzzle that is Elias




Elias runs by me, chasing after his baby brother.  I watch him go, laughing, yelling, running.   

We received another piece to the puzzle that is Elias. 

I've just hung up with his pediatrician.  The results of his microarray scan were in.  

An abnormality was found.  

His 2nd chromosome is duplicated.   The report said this was an insignificant medical finding. 

The importance of this?   It may shed light on why he is different in the ways he is.

I was sitting in the living room after the phone call.   I can't really explain how I felt after hearing the news.   It was a bit anticlimactic.   He's been doing so well lately, we hardly notice his little quirks anymore.   It didn't really change anything.   And yet, it did.  My sister-in-law Kelly said it was "good" news in a strange sort of way. 

The next step is to figure out if all of our children have this same duplication.  More for research than for clarity.  Elias' doctor will send this report to genetics in Halifax and when they are in our area, the other six of us will have blood work done.  Maybe we all have this duplication.  Time will tell.

For now we keep doing what we've been doing with Elias.  He's doing so great!  His personality has really emerged.  We're enjoying learning who our boy is.  If not a tad bit annoyed by his antics. 

I guess that hasn't changed either.

Comments

  1. Not really sure what that means, but I'm glad he's doing well. :) Sure sounds like he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I can't imagine the feelings that must be flowing through you as you deal with these results. He's your baby. Perfect in your eyes. But also, it sounds like having some sort of answers is a blessing. Praying for the whole family as you continue on this journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye