Elias



We could have named him Coleman. 

We were on vacation in Halifax, staying with my brother and his family.  Wayne and Jamie were out shopping for trailers, I stayed home with Kelly and the kids.  I knew I was pregnant, but I needed confirmation. 

Proof in hand, I called Wayne, who quickly told me they had found the trailer we were looking for, a Coleman.  To which I replied.... "I'm pregnant".  Wayne said, "Well... it sleeps 6.". 

And that's how it started. 

6 instead of 5.  We had this completely under control, 3 kids already, what was one more?

He arrived on a Monday evening,  after I spent a weekend away shopping.  3 weeks ahead of schedule.  Elias Alexander (my Dad) Keith (Wayne's Dad) Murphy. 

I was a pro.  Or so I thought.

Slowly we realized he came to rewrite our book on breastfeeding, sleeping, solids, doctors, parenting, and my mental health.  We fought to feed him, watched as he struggled, cried beside him in the hospital.  Shook our heads in doubt, wondering how one child could be so different from the others.  And most recently, rejoiced over long awaited answers and watched as he blossomed. 

I've learned more about myself in the last 5 years than any other.  With wisdom only experience can bring, I look back and see how we made it through.  How we continue to move forward.  Thankful to be on this side of the last 5 years.

Today he turns 5.  Sweet, loving, charming, Elias.  I don't have one favourite child (they take turns any given day of the week), but I will weep when he starts school.  I won't shed tears because of his new found independence, I will cry because I marvel at his little form.  I am overjoyed that we've made it here, there were times when I wasn't sure we would.

We're better parents because of you.  You are a delight!  Happy Birthday, Eli!

Comments

  1. Happy 5th birthday Elias! I hope you meet you someday, you are an inspiration. :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Happy (late) birthday Elias! Isn't it great to have these days to celebrate our wonderful, beautiful, incredible children?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye