In rocks


One Sunday I shared with my church about my horrible parenting week.  Afterwards a woman I admire greatly placed her hand on my shoulder and said, with small children you'll find some days are full of rocks and others, diamonds.  The rocks make you appreciate the diamonds even more

I trust the source of this encouragement.  She has five grown children.  I'm sure to her these days I am living seem like they happened just a short time ago. 

What I appreciated most about her comment was the gentleness with which she expressed it.  Her words were full of empathy and compassion.  She knows where I am.  She's been there. 

How many times have I heard a seasoned mother say to me, "Enjoy these days when they are small, they are the best days of your life and they go so fast!" ?  To which, I shudder.

Sleep has been an issue in this house. 

Last night was no exception. 

All 5 of my children were awake at some point between the hours of 1:30 and 4 am. 

When I finally went back to bed the thought that kept running through my head was, my life is like one big bedtime and meal-making ritual. 

Not an excellent way to go to sleep, but at least I was headed to la-la land.

Those are rocks. 

However, diamonds come in the form of the chance to pray for Abby and many other things that I'm thankful for, as she tried to quiet herself after a nightmare. 

Or the opportunity to cuddle in Abby's bed, with her baby brother sandwiched between us, as I watched them both fall into easy sleep.  Faces peaceful and calm.

I certainly do appreciate the diamonds. 

Because they usually appear when I am up to my neck in rocks.


Comments

  1. I just love your mix of dark and light, joy and pain...You never gloss over truth, you display yourself for who you are - I admire your courage, Angie! You are beautiful!

    Joy F. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so good to remember that there are diamonds within the rocks. Thanks for sharing.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye