The sweet in the bitter


Things feel crumpled.  Like blankets at the foot of an unmade bed.  I hide behind silence or fluffy conversation.  The light in the bedroom is dim, the sounds outside muffled through locked windows.  Feeling strange.  Like a stranger.  Unknown and known all at once.  I talk in riddles because I am an inside joke.  My words hide a thousand feelings that no one can navigate. 

I'm thinking of all those times I wasn't sure how I was going to get through. You know, when everything seems to hinge on one decision or event and you're not really certain which way it will tip. Crying out, I give words to what's hidden in the darkest part of my soul. Those are the nights when I grew the most.  In the not knowing. When I got to the end of my finite self and His peace came floating in over me. Covering all of my bruises with a hush. I wave the white flag, surrendering to the bliss of being held. 

His peace is beautifully reassuring and I'm not certain I'd experience it the same way had I not felt such anguish to begin with. I'm not saying I like the turmoil, but I am saying I think I can appreciate the peace more when it comes at the tail end of the other.  It's the sweet in the bitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 18, 1984

Twenty Seven Years

Two kinds of good bye